Welcome

I have entered the world of blogging! My purpose? To stay connected to friends and family and invite you into my world. A world filled with fun, tears, laughter, excitement, elation, disappointment and all the blessings of being a mother and wife.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Dinosaur blanket and matching pillow

My nephew turned 5 last week. He loves dinosaurs but I wasn't about to buy him another toy dinosaur (he must have at least 100 by now!) so I made him a dinosaur blanket and matching pillow. I thought it would be fun to share the process with you.

First I prewashed the fabric, green fleece and dinosaur fabric. I put the two fabrics together and cut them to size, leaving enough to make a matching pillow. Then I drew a large "A" (for Ashton) on a piece of paper to monogram the blanket. I used my template to cut out an "A" from the green fleece, next I stitched the "A" to the dinosaur fabric.

I then sewed the two fabric pieces, right-sides together, leaving an opening so I could turn it right-side out.

Next, I turned it right-side out and closed the opening by machine sewing and continued to sew along all four sides to finish off the blanket.

For the pillow, I took a piece of each fabric, right-sides together and sewed on all four sides, leaving an opening to turn it right-side out. Then I stuff it with pillow stuffing and hand-stitched the opening.

Finished blanket and pillow

4 comments:

Heidi Boos said...

Sarah, Your nephew will love this! Thanks for sharing your sewing expertise because I am NO GOOD in that area and it's fun for me to see how people can just "whip together" things like this. ;)

Have a great week!

Sarah Ondracek said...

Great gift for your nephew! I wish I knew how to sew! - Sarah

Tammy Williams said...

Very cute. I made a blanket for my nephew too - that was 2 years ago though. It was one of the first sewing projects I did and I haven't returned to sewing much since then. Let's just say that a few choice words were flying around during assembling of the material.

Unknown said...

Very cute. I love that you put the A on it and did soemthing besides a toy!