Welcome

I have entered the world of blogging! My purpose? To stay connected to friends and family and invite you into my world. A world filled with fun, tears, laughter, excitement, elation, disappointment and all the blessings of being a mother and wife.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday and a Holiday Pie Recipe


This week for Vintage Thingies Thursday over at Colorado Lady I am sharing a vintage song sheet I picked up at a holiday bazaar. This November the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group I'm a part of hosted a holiday bazaar. One of the vendors specialized in antiques. She had a few of these cool song sheets. She said they dated back to her childhood which I believe would be the '50s. They were SO neat I had to have one (so did Grace!). I let Grace decide which one and she choose "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem". I wanted to use it in my Christmas decorating so I placed it behind my Nativity scence (fitting, I thought). We even got to use it and sang the song on Day #3 of our Advent Activities.





Photobucket

Every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas I bake the pies, a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. This year when I went to bake the pecan pie I realized I had everything BUT the pecans! I did have walnuts. So I followed the same recipe replacing the pecans with the walnuts and YUMMY! I think from now on I will make it a walnut pie on purpose!

Walnut Pie Recipe




1 cup Karo® Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) walnuts
1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in walnuts. Pour filling into pie crust. Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes, tap side of pie, it is done when center springs back. Cool for 2 hours on wire rack before serving.

14 comments:

Roslyn said...

Walnuts or pecans it's nuts & gets my vote!Yum

CC said...

Love your sheet music..and that recipe..yummmmmmmmmmm. It has that wonderful pie filling and walnuts..who need pecans. I have to try this one. Thanks for the idea and the recipe..

Jane said...

I love vintage sheet music. Your daughter picked out a good one with "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem". It's a natural fit behind your nativity scene.
Jane

Cassie said...

I'm with Roslyn walnuts or pecans you can't be wrong. Happy Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash :o)

Old Time Cindy said...

Your sheet music is very pretty. You might want to frame it! From experience, saves on wear and tear. Happy Holidays!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Postcardy said...

I like the way the song sheet makes a backdrop for your other things. I have some old 1950s Christmas books with pages that would work as backdrops or framed art too, but I could never cut them up even though they were only $1 each.

Miri said...

Great find-vintage Christmas sheet music!

Your pie looks gorgeous! MMM!

Serendipity said...

That pie looks really tasty!

TidyMom said...

Seriously! that pay looks and sounds DELICIOUS!! thanks for sharing!

~TidyMom

★Carol★ said...

That piece of sheet music is so beautiful, worthy of framing!
I have never ever baked a pie, but this recipe looks so easy that even someone like me could make it! I think I'll try your walnut pie1
Happy VTT and Merry Christmas!
Carol

Magnolia Mom said...

What a nice variation! I bet it's delish.

Coloradolady said...

What a great post...beautiful sheet music and well....a marvelous looking pie! Have a great VTT!

annies home said...

I love walnuts and often they are less expensive than pecans

Kim, USA said...

Oh gush that is so yummy...one thing that I need is the walnut and I am ready to make the pie...thanks for sharing.


My VTT-Guitar