Welcome

I have entered the world of blogging! My purpose? To stay connected to friends and family and invite you into my world. A world filled with fun, tears, laughter, excitement, elation, disappointment and all the blessings of being a mother and wife.

Monday, December 14, 2009

A Handmade Christmas...Christmas Bloggy Party

I love to make gifts! This year I am probably making more than usual, given the economy we are on a tight budget this Christmas. Fortunately I have a surplus of crafting supplies so I'm able to make things without spending very much. This is what I worked on this week.

Each year I make our girls' Christmas dresses. Although it is one of their gifts, they do get them early so they can wear them to all the events, school Christmas program, visiting Santa, seeing The Nutcracker and Christmas Eve service. We moved this summer and in our new office were very long, burgundy curtains. When I took them down I realized that the material was a beautiful raw silk from Pottery Barn. Although the curtains were pretty, they weren't my style SO they became the girls' Christmas dresses! :-)



Two lucky ladies, can't say who (they might read this post!) are getting these this Christmas.

An apple spice hanging for the kitchen. I strung together dried sliced apple, cinnamon sticks and eucalyptus leaves. I thinly sliced an apple and baked it in the oven on 225 for a few hours to dry them out, I bought cinnamon sticks at the store for .99 cents (a package of four) and the eucalyptus leaves came from our backyard. I used embroidery thread to string them together.



A sachet filled with apple spiced potpourri. The potpourri is store bought but I sewed the sachet out of wide lace and strung it closed with ribbon.



I'm participating in a Christmas Bloggy Party all week...
Photobucket

6 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Curtains into dresses - it's very Gone With The Wind - I love it! And, they really turned out beautiful. My girls would be crazy about them.

jennykate77 said...

Curtains into dresses?! They turned out gorgeous! The dried apples and little sachets are great gift ideas!

cindy said...

Beautiful dresses and beautiful little girls you have :)

Thanks for linking to Mi4M!

glor said...

Your girls are beautiful and how lovely they look in their dresses. What a great use of those curtains, no one would ever know if you didn't say so. You are a very good sewer, they're beautiful.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - I am so impressed that you made those dresses. Beautiful!!!!

Thanks for linking up!

XOOX
Jen

Kathleen Grace said...

I love that you saw the potential for something beautiful in those curtains! The dresses, and your girls are beautiful. I am sure your girls will remember the love you put into them all their lives:>) Thanks for linking up and congratulations on starting your blog. I think you will really enjoy it!